> I guess Glenn’s point is that the license issue cannot be circumvented,
> even if the king itself says something different than its contents.

I'm not really sure about this, but I think it could work if the copyright
owner creates some official documentation explaining that tracing on top of
their imagery is not considered copying. My French isn't good enough to
understand if the mail from geoportail is saying exactly that. But if
anyone thinks it would be possible to get them to add a clause like this,
we could ask legal-questions if a model like that could work. I don't think
a copy-pasted e-mail is enough though.

André, could you elaborate the statement that tracing = consulting? I don't
really understand how you come to that conclusion

> I made an overpass turbo script showing OSM with the Michelin's colors.
> I won't show it because the vigilantes would accuse me to copy Michelin's
colors.
> While doing so, I noticed that the main axis Ans-Amercœur wasn't fully
Michelin's colors.
> So, this could produce suboptimal routes.
> This is because a few N3 streets are tagged highway=secondary instead of
=primary.
> I certainly did not correct that because the vigilantes would say that it
is copying Michelin.

I'm still of the opinion that we cannot use Michelin to validate our own
map. But here you're talking about using the coloring of OSM roads to look
for strange situations. That is obviously OK. If you really want to do that
in Michelin style colors because that's what you like to see, I don't think
anyone could be against that (though copyright holders sometimes think in
strange ways).