On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 14:26 -0500, Richard Degelder wrote:
> With the license for Stats-Can we are not going to be able to use any of
> their data.  Although OSM is non-commercial there is no way we can
> ensure that any future user will always be non-commercial as well.

Dear Richard,

>From your comment above, I presume that you are seeing a
"non-commercial" requirement in the StatsCan license.  From the link Sam
posted recently[1], I do not see any such limitation.  Section 3.0
License grant includes the text, "grants to the Licensee ... right and
license .. to sell ... licensed Derived Products"

The terms require that the source be acknowledged, and that the
inclusion of the data not be seen as an endorsement of the product by
Statistics Canada.

This seems agreeable to cc-by-sa based on my quick reading of it.

Are you looking at a different license?  Link?

Best regards,
Richard

[1]
http://geodepot.statcan.ca/2006/Reference/Freepub/92-500-GWE/2007001/agreement.htm