On 21 June 2010 00:32, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:

> I won't run it against the live data and change the data on the server
> unless the community thinks this is a good idea.  You and I think it
> is; let's see if some others support the idea.

Don't call it a bot. Bots are bad.*

My questions are why have these names been given "Street" not "rue". I don't
think name:xx is supposed to be a literal translation but what people of
that language would call it. Sometimes there are road signs with both
languages on. Some of these might (for whatever, possibly wrong, reason)
have "Street" after the French name. Some might just be the user not
thinking, or having missing data.

Knowing a reason for a lot of the "Street" names would give support to your
changes. E.g. a user explaining their lazy entry or seeing a selection are
from imports.
How will we know the changes were made by your script? Maybe tagging every
element isn't necessary and just explain in the changeset description.

*You can call it a bot if it is restricted to an area. Like you are doing,
and so you count me as supporting this.
If you have at least 1-2 people who have an eye over the place then, in my
view, you should be allowed to do it. This means you must have support at
the very least for each provenance you do it for. For example I only knew
the Western half of Vancouver, you would have to also get the support of
someone who lives/maps in the East to support you for a city-wide change.

With getting boundaries, can you just run it on a bounding box that seems to
encompass the whole city? What will happen outside: no name:fr will be
found, or they will be changed with just the same accuracy/affect as the
ones in the city?

Also the value of my support got a half-life since I left Canada at the
start of May, and I don't know about the french side. Hopefully you're happy
for me to add these thinking points even if you decide to not care about
them.

--
Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com