Good morning everyone,

I've been working for the last couple of months importing Canvec data
into south-central BC and have almost completed the eastern half of 92I.
I also have been lurking on the MkGMap list and one of the comments
there today got me thinking that maybe I've been doing something wrong.
Just wanted to get some comment here if I might.  I can go back and fix
things if need be.

The procedure I have been using for importing is essentially a
reflection of what I would normally do should I be mapping an area from
scratch.  I select a feature like wood, wetland, water, etc. from my
CanVec data layer, check it against the existing OSM, merge where
appropriate and delete the feature from my CanVec data layer so I can
keep track of what I have done.  At the end of this process, I am
usually left with a couple of things in the CanVec layer which I
discard.  For example, after merging "wood", I delete it from the CanVec
layer and in many cases am left with another untagged way that follows
the wood boundary.  This way has no tags at all and is not part of any
relationship.  As it normally would not be present should I have just
traced the wood using Potlatch or JOSM, I delete it and do not import it
into OSM.  I have also been ignoring the natural=land tags that appear
on islands in lakes.  I have not been importing this tag since if I
understand things correctly, it is sufficient to have islands tagged
only as inner members of  relationships.   As a check, I have gone back
and examined the rendered OSM maps, and all wood and islands are
rendering correctly.  I have also imported some of my imported CanVec
data into my Garmin Nuvi through Lambertus's site and all render
correctly as well.

rendering as blue on someone's Garmin (I have this problem too by the
way) the comment was made that islands needed to be tagged as
natural=land.  I'm not sure that is actually the case but it did get me
thinking about the island tags I have been discarding and the other
superfluous CanVec data I have also been tossing.

Is it OK to toss these natural=land tags?  And what is going on with
these ghost ways that appear under under the boundaries to wooded areas?
OK to toss them as well?