From: Samuel Longiaru [mailto:longi...@shaw.ca]
Sent: May 18, 2011 09:42
To: talk-ca
Subject: [Talk-ca] CanVec natural=land tags and untagged ways

Good morning everyone,

I've been working for the last couple of months importing Canvec data into
south-central BC and have almost completed the eastern half of 92I.  I also
have been lurking on the MkGMap list and one of the comments there today got me
thinking that maybe I've been doing something wrong.  Just wanted to get some
comment here if I might.  I can go back and fix things if need be.

The procedure I have been using for importing is essentially a reflection of
what I would normally do should I be mapping an area from scratch.  I select a
feature like wood, wetland, water, etc. from my CanVec data layer, check it
against the existing OSM, merge where appropriate and delete the feature from
my CanVec data layer so I can keep track of what I have done.  At the end of
this process, I am usually left with a couple of things in the CanVec layer
which I discard.  For example, after merging "wood", I delete it from the
CanVec layer and in many cases am left with another untagged way that follows
the wood boundary.  This way has no tags at all and is not part of any
relationship.  As it normally would not be present should I have just traced
the wood using Potlatch or JOSM, I delete it and do not import it into OSM.  I
have also been ignoring the natural=land tags that appear on islands in lakes.
I have not been importing this tag since if I understand things correctly, it
is sufficient to have islands tagged only as inner members of  relationships.
As a check, I have gone back and examined the rendered OSM maps, and all wood
and islands are rendering correctly.  I have also imported some of my imported
CanVec data into my Garmin Nuvi through Lambertus's site and all render
correctly as well.

as blue on someone's Garmin (I have this problem too by the way) the comment
was made that islands needed to be tagged as natural=land.  I'm not sure that
is actually the case but it did get me thinking about the island tags I have
been discarding and the other superfluous CanVec data I have also been tossing.

Is it OK to toss these natural=land tags?  And what is going on with these
ghost ways that appear under under the boundaries to wooded areas?  OK to toss
them as well?