From: Paul Ramsey [mailto:pram...@cleverelephant.ca]
Sent: Thursday, 1 September, 2016 13:05
To: Begin Daniel
Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Forests/Land Use, was: Canvec reverts

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Begin Daniel
<jfd...@hotmail.com<mailto:jfd...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
What is very cool with OSM is that you can edit the data. Urban polygon is
wrong? Modify it! The definition is obscure in the Wiki? Change it! But yes,
the learning curve is often steep, and you may need to discuss with someone
else…

"Just fix it" is not quite the answer. The point the original poster made,
which I concur with, is that the very existence of these shapes makes working
with the "important" data difficult. In terms of forest and land use polygons,
every vertex I move there is a vertex I'm not going to move on something
"important".  (And the vertex density of the forests/land use are another
reason that working around/with them is painful and energy-sapping.)

As discussed in the other thread, the shear volume of Canada means I'm never in
1M years going to "fix" the forests. As it stands, I mostly ignore them. Too
many vertexes to move, for too little net benefit, so there's forests running
through the new subdivisions of Prince George. At least the roads are there and
hopefully correctly named now.

 (I would, however, love to just delete the urban "land use" polygons, but who
know if that's "allowed" or not. Absent a strong personality like the person
who caused this thread, it seems like OSM is very much an "add only" project,
since the social consequences of incorrectly deleting things seem so high.
Nobody wants to be "that guy".)

ATB,