On Jan 25, 2018, at 8:13 PM, Matthew Darwin <matt...@mdarwin.ca> wrote:
> I'm not who the "movers and shakers" are really.   There is nobody really
> driving this project that I am aware of (the wiki suggests we should have a
> steering committee).   Every time I see email sent to the original
> distribution list of people invited to the meeting last September, I suggest
> the conversation continue here, but never really does.    (there is no
> conversation really)

Thank you for your response, Matthew!

> What happened to all the agencies in that meeting that suggested this was a
> good idea?  What are they doing to contribute?  I have no idea.

Well, somebody (besides me) is writing (and wrote) wiki.  Maybe it is becoming
an "orphaned" project?  That would be a shame, it has such potential and
respectable growth so far, it just looks a bit like a freshly-built ship
without a rudder.  I think it has potential and momentum, the framework is
there, a good pilot project in Ottawa seeds it well.  Looks like a "call out"
to "agencies" and such takes some time for throats to be cleared and such and
"hm, yeah, we're working on that, too."  OK, that happens.  In a day, in a
week, in a month, after a quarter.  Clearly, it's early days in BC2020.  Shout
out?!  (By me, here, now?)  Oh, a-a-agencies?  Anybody interested?

There, that oughta do it. :-)

> Personally I'm spending on average several days/week working on improving OSM
> in the City of Ottawa.  (http://hdyc.neis-one.org/?Matthew%20Darwin).  My
> focus is roads geometry (mostly done... remaining work is pending getting
> info from the City of Ottawa... waiting 6 months with no answers) then
> addresses (in progress) then we'll see what's next.... Probably I will make
> the tooling I've worked on available as open source, and then do work on
> buildings.

I say it as necessary (it can be frequently):  OSM is a medium-term to
longer-term project, especially with large-ish,
regional/national/continental-sized sub-projects like WikiProject BC2020.  What
I certainly don't want to happen is somebody gets "chased off" (whether by "I
haven't the time" or "I don't stand tall enough to ride the ride" or many other
reasons) and the whole initiative goes "poof."  It birthed as a brilliant flare
and now toddles along.

If I may humbly say to the dear readers here:  I see many green lights ahead on
BC2020.  There are some pesky obstacles like licensing and a good Import Plan
(the Ottawa seed is a good start) but those do get resolved over the medium-
and longer-term.  Crawl, walk, run:  excellent.

Regards,
SteveA
California