> he probado OSMOND en España de vacaciones y hay muchas variantes del
> nombre de la calle-partes.
>
> Avendia
> Av.
> Av
> Avda.
> Plaza
> Pza.
> Calle
> C/
> Pje
> dr.
> doctor

Interesting and a simple thing to do, it seems. First thing is, in my
opinion, in OSM we should always use the full street denomination, without
using any abbreviations (most of the times those abbreviations are used in
the real world is because of the lack of space, something that is not a
problem in computer based data storage).

To me, using anything but the full street name denomination is simply a bad
practice, and should be avoided. Should rendering software believe the
"type of way" is too lengthy, they can choose to replace the whole text
with the official abbreviations. When searching for addresses, typing the
type of way can only bring too many irrelevant matches and slow down the
whole operation.

There are, however, places where the same name can be given to a variety of
ways (calle, avenida, pasaje, plaza, etc.). But even in those cases a
search for the "name" will only return a handful of matches.

In any case, as mentioned, to me using anything but the full text string
denominator for a way is just a poor practice.

A bot that replaces those strings would be much appreciated, but doing that
manually shouldn't be that painful, if using some end user tools (i.e. JOSM
and filters to apply some tag changes in batches).

Cheers.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (3.2.0-35-generic-pae)