In Galicia, I use to edit the name tag (galician), name:gl (galician)
and name:xx for other languages. If I write only one (that is what I do
most of the times), I just write the galician one in the name tag.

The question is: if you don't put the name tag, what language does the
renderer (mapnik or whatever) choose for the rendering? I think you need
to put the name tag whatsoever.

Cheers,

Rafael Ávila Coya.

--