In the absence of vector data I agree that a controlled way of auto-tracing
the building outlines (a JOSM plug-in would be ideal for me) is the way to
go.

For my area, unless something like this comes along there will never be
building outlines in OSM as the local demographics mean mappers are in short
supply and I can't imagine that those that there are would want to manually
trace 10s of thousands of buildings anyway.

I don't think the "we shouldn't sully OSM with OS data" argument stands up
as looking at my area (Devon) most of the coastline + almost all names of
natural features and numerous other stuff has come from the NPE and 1st
Edition maps.  The StreetView coastline and waterways data is way better
than what we currently have here and unless there is better data coming in
the near future then we should trace this stuff in asap.

Kevin