One point relating to Average Speed Cameras:

Don't assume that the first camera is entry into a monitored
section and the next camera exits the monitoring.
This is not always the case.

They can be set up as dual-exit-entry like this:

     Enter-A --> Exit-A-Enter-B --> Exit-B (see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7048645.stm )

Or potentially overlapped like this:

     Enter-A --> Enter-B --> Exit-A --> Exit-B

So the best we may be able to do is note the presence of the
cameras. Attempting to place them in relations for the individual
monitored sections could be tricky and misleading.

Graham

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 12:31 +0000, "Peter Miller"
<peter.mil...@itoworld.com> wrote:

On 4 March 2011 12:18, Robert Scott <[1]li...@humanleg.org.uk>
wrote:

On Friday 04 March 2011, Peter Miller wrote:
> Any thoughts about how should we tag highways equipped with
average  speed
> camera enforcement?
>
> Do you think that it is sufficient to just add
'highway=speed_camera' to the

[2]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dspeed_camera

> If so I will update the wiki with details that instant cameras
should be on
> nodes and average cameras on ways.

  Dare I say it, this _is_ the right situation to use a
  relation. The camera nodes between which the average speed is
  calculated could be added to the relation in the correct
  order.
  Then again, this is the sort of detail that I'm sceptical
  we'll ever reach in openstreetmap in a remotely uniform (i.e.
  useful) way, so I'm not sure of the value of this level of
  complexity.

Relations don't really seem to be necessary really. Responding to
a later comment. Average speed cameras can monitor a network of
roads so one can't assume that there is an order in which a
vehicle will pass the cameras.
Surely a simple fag such as 'speed_camera=average' to the
relevant highways would be the logical. One could then add
details such as 'speed_camera:type=Specs' or whatever. After all,
the speed limit is on the way. Possibly the best tag would be
'maxspeed:enforcement=average'. That might work well.
Regards,
Peter

  robert.
  p.s. Then again again, the germans managed to map their whole
  power line network (?) didn't they?