Hi,

On 01/10/12 15:37, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Yes, the trouble is when Frederik pointed this out and referred to the
page, it says it is for cases where the suspect edit has been wiped out,
not simply verified from other sources. How can you change the name from
itself to itself and actually have changed anything?

Just delete the name tag and re-add it. It's not your fault if the
editor doesn't upload that to the API then ;)

More seriously: There is *no* way you can acquire intellectual property of something by saying that "I have looked it up and it is correct".

You either have to remove it and re-create it, even if the result looks the same - even if, and hence my snarky remark in the previous email, the API doesn't actually see your actions -, or you have to dispute that there was any intellectual property in the first place.

But doing neither - i.e., saying "yes, 80n did have intellectual property on this one, and no, I didn't change it, but yes, it is now ODbL clean" is, in my eyes, a legal impossibility. (You might want to talk to a lawyer about that or, failing that, at least raise the matter on legal-talk.)

I have added a pointer to existing odbl=clean information to Peter's wiki page.

I think first and foremost, odbl=clean means "I take responsibility for this object being clean". OSMF will not usually question your decision, just as it doesn't usually question your uploading of something new; only if someone complains - and there *are* people who watch *very* closely what happens to their non-ODbL contributions - will the situation have to be investigated.

The results of such investigation are hard to predict. If someone prefers to wait for clear directions - feel free to do so, but personally, I'd rather start fixing things than wait & discuss.

Bye
Frederik