David Earl wrote:
> Why does pressing the keys make any
> difference whatsoever? The original contributor doesn't own the
> copyright in the name, only their contribution, and by marking it
> odbl clean I'm making an alternative contribution which asserts
> the source is now legitimate.

I think you're both right. This is "sweat of the brow" in a nutshell. The
act of making the contribution is protected, not just the contribution. It's
an utterly braindead law, yes, and for once the UK would be much better off
if it followed the practice of our cousins across the pond... but it is,
nonetheless, the law.

So:

If you spend time reviewing a fact expressed in the database; confirm that
the fact is correct and not original; and therefore tag it odbl=clean; I
think that is sufficient sweat-of-the-brow for the "IP" to reside with you.
Keyboard-mashing per se is not a distinct concept in the law,
sweat-of-the-brow is, and if the sweat is expended on reviewing and
retaining the data (and, as an inevitably corollary, deleting data for which
you can find no corroborating evidence)... then that works.

Those with an eye to mischief may like to ponder how one might code (i.e.
sweat-of-the-brow) and run a bot which reviewed streetnames and other
attributes against OS OpenData, and tagged them odbl=clean if they were
found fitting.

cheers
Richard