On 21/04/12 00:13, Andy wrote:
Just a couple of quick notes:

* The cycle path section is a bit misleading as it stands. The tagging
you have shown is for standalone paths (i.e. mapped separately from a
road); the majority of cycle paths in the UK are on the side of a road
and thus should be tagged something like
"highway=<primary,secondary...>, cycleway=track, segregated=yes/no".
I've copied the relevant section onto my user page and altered it:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Spark

* I would prefer to see the 'UK Classic vs Global' stuff taken out -
these are the *UK* guidelines and hence the best/commonest practice in
the UK should be given.

Cheers,
Andy

I should have read these tagging guides before. I have tried to map local cycle paths along the side of the road by creating a way parallel to the road and tagging it as a highway=cycleway. Do I understand from the above that it is better practice to simply add a cycleway=track tag to the main highway?

My excuse for doing it via a separate way is that I was copying somebody else's practice and I could see that his way of doing it resulted in nice rendering on the Cycle Map which can be accessed from the main map page.

Bogus Zaba