On Thu, 31 May 2012, Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
... (This is Worcestershire, and at the same time,
they've also split the paths up at every junction so that no path has
two routes leaving a junction, i.e. a path always ends at the first
junction of rights of way it comes to, and its continuation is now a
separate new path. I think this may have something to do with
geometries in GIS software.)

I think this is also adopted by Buckinghamshire. For example, there is a four way junction where TWY/16/2, TWY/16/3, TWY/19/1 and TWY/19/2 meet. Oxfordshire don't do this. One of their four way junctions has the meeting of 265/29, 265/29, 265/33 and 265/33.

I'm not sure what's best to do for for an overall format. I think we
may probably have to consider things on a county by county basis,
trying to keep things as consistent as possible. ...

A web application I'm developing straddles many counties. So I've decided to adopt the scheme:
   code-for-council:code-for-path-adopted-by-council
Examples are:
   BM:TWY/16/2
   BM:TWY/19/1
   ON:265/29
   ON:265/33

For the code-for-council (e.g., BM and ON), I've chosen to use the two letter codes that are used by the OS Opendata 1:50 000 Scale Gazetteer that is described at: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/products/50k-gazetteer/index.html
It's in field 12 of their colon-separated file.  There are 208 values.

Is this sensible?

--
Barry Cornelius
http://www.thehs2.com/