----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory" <nomoregra...@googlemail.com>
To: "Richard Fairhurst" <rich...@systemed.net>
Cc: <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] PRoW Ref tagging when ROW is also a road

On 19 June 2012 14:07, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net> wrote:

David Groom wrote:
> However at the north end there is a (newly erected) public footpath
> sign showing a footpath ref of B64, pointing straight down this road,
> and the definitive map shows this as a footpath.

I use "admin:ref" for refs that are predominantly intended for
administrative usage, rather than public-facing usage.

Now that sounds like tagging for the renderer.

The problem in the stated case, is that there is potentially a footpath ref
and a road ref.
I would want to suggest something like footpath:ref=B64 or prow:ref=B64,
but I don't think either is used or documented anywhere.

Thanks everyone for the comments

I like the idea of prow:ref. I think footpath:ref a bit too specific, we'd then need bridleway:ref, not to mention boat:ref (for byways open to all traffic) which could be just TOO confusing!

I've also found one instance of where the problem mentioned by Andy, of a way needing both a road ref and a prow ref, see http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/28919456 which currently is tagged "ref = A49;Cuddington FP 24"

Certainly here on the Isle of Wight, I think the use of the reference number has gone beyond just administrative purposes. A large majority of the footpath/bridleway signs have the ref on them (and I think all the more recent ones do). Walking guides and trail leaflets commonly refer to paths by using their reference number.

In the UK at present there seem to be 7,004 ways tagged with designation =* and ref = *, of which 941 are on the Isle of Wight. I'd be quite confident about changing the relevant Isle Of Wight ways to prow:ref , but would not want to mass change all the UK ones.

It would be good to hear comments from user mikh43, and Robert Whittaker, as the three of us account for 80% of the users who last edited those 7004 ways

Regards

David

Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com