Hi Guys

I was originally attempting to get all the London Underground Tube
stations and Rail stations from OSM ( london xml file )

The issues with the data I have had are :

1) Some stations are tagged as Nodes, some as Ways and some as Relations

London Bridge is large area Way:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.50426&lon=-0.084887&zoom=18
and is tagged as a "building" of type "station" and "railway" "station"

Westminister Tube station is tagged as a Node
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.501144&lon=-0.125211&zoom=19
of type "railway" "station" this possibly makes sense to be a Node as
its too small to be a Way..

Waterloo station is a Way
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.503282&lon=-0.113125&zoom=18
but this time type "building" "station" ( rather than "train_station"
as London bridge is ) ( and also "railway" "station" )
but it's also grouped as a Relation of type "site" "railway_station"

Maybe some being Nodes, Ways or Relations makes good sense, but maybe
it does not... maybe all stations should be a Node ( London Bridge has
no Nodes just a single Way ) and then station buildings should just be
buildings.. that would at least be more consistant .. the buildings
could always be put into a Relation with the Node if needed ?

Also types of "train_station" and "station" etc... should this not be
standardised?

2) Stations tagged multiple times  (this is a much bigger problem)  !

Approximately 75 % of all London Underground Tube stations are tagged
with a Node multiple times, the distribution looks like this:

0 times : e.g. London Bridge, this is only a Way there is no Node for
either the Rail or Tube

1 single time : this is the rarest case and as far as I can see the correct case
Borough, Farringdon, St James' Park, Westminister and a few others are
the few single tagged Tube stations in London

e.g Farringdon looks fine
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?mlat=51.52056&mlon=-0.10504&zoom=18
its a single node of "railway" type "station" and has the two
"networks" correctly attributed to it of "National Rail;London
Underground". The only issue that i can see with Farringdon is as with
many other tube stations it has a additional russian name "name:ru" of
"Фаррингдон"

2,3,4 or even more tages for the same station ..

High Street Kensington :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.5008&lon=-0.19269&zoom=19 has
4 tags .. each one joined to a rail line

Piccadilly Circus
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.510003&lon=-0.134754&zoom=18
is tagged twice ( once under a different way )

Lambeth North is again tagged twice ( once under a way )
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.499021&lon=-0.112524&zoom=18

Oxford Circus Tube Station is not taged at all. but instead the 4
exits are tagged singularly as type "railway" and "subway_entrance" ..
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.515258&lon=-0.141406&zoom=18
though they all do seem to be grouped into a Relation of
"public_transport" "stop_area"
Is this level of tagging required, and would an actual "station" tag
in the centre of these 4 entrances simply denoting the station itself
be better ? ---as it is no station at all is plotted on osm.org

Green Park Tube Station is similar again with no tagged station but
many tagged entrances
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=green+park&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=green+park&cid=0,0,15806140768408957347&ei=8To6UcfADM-w7AbP_oHQCA&ved=0CKwBEPwSMAA
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.506934&lon=-0.142474&zoom=18

Waterloo Station is tagged once as a large area Way, and then 5
separate times as well as Nodes detonating a station
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=51.50246&lon=-0.11246&zoom=17
they are dotted all about the place, some on lower layers, some for
one train line or another ..

3 ) Also there is the issue of networks tagging ..
Some stations are tagged as "London Underground" or "National Rail" as
they should, but some that are both a dual are tagged with two nodes
one for each rather that a single node of "National Rail;London
Underground" for example. eg Kensington Olympia is tagged twice, once
with "London Overground" and once with "National Rail;London
Underground"

So in conclusion the problems I have found with Rail and Tube stations are :
a) Tagged as Ways, Nodes or Relations; sometimes all 3, sometimes just
a Node, sometimes a building Way of type "station", but no Node.

b) Duplicated stations: sometimes an identical tagging many many many
times. Sometimes the Rail and the Tube are placed as separate stations
when they should be combined, sometimes there is a Way and also a
Node, sometimes there is a station for every Rail line/track that
comes into the actual station

c) Stations are not taged at all, but instead the exits are all tagged
as an exit, that are sometimes grouped as a exit relation

d) Inconsistant tagging eg some are "train_station" and others just "station"

( e) odd Russian names for many of the stations )

This is just from the ones I have looked at so far, I will look
further in the mean time but asking from the OSM data the position of
Rail and Tube stations in London is a very non-trivial task. Is there
something missing from my understating, or does a refurbishment of the
rail stations data for London needed? maybe something like every
station is a single node placed at the approximate center, and then
"exits" or station buildings are separately tagged and grouped into
relations a long with the original point, and that a standard
"station" and not the "railway_station" tag is chosen ? Also do these
kinds of issues exist for other cities both around the uk and the data
for the rest of the world, and is it limited to stations?

Hope this has been helpful & can hopefully can get a discussion going
about what i am missing and what might be able to be done to help!

Best regards

James