On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 14:30 +0000, Derick Rethans wrote:

> What's wrong with names in different languages?

Nothing as long as it is from a verifiable source and names should
really not break the rule of 'map what we see'. Nowhere will you see
Фаррингдон, what is its source?

In terms of making a map useful, the place-names need to be what you can
see. A map satnav telling me to follow the motorway towards The Hague,
Munich or Cologne is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, it needs to
direct me to use what appears on the signs. At the moment OSM works, I
hope nobody ever thinks it is a good idea to actually use name.en for
these cities.

Some mappers have been very prolific in spreading name.ru all over the
UK, the mapper who added a Russian name to Shrewsbury, also added one to
Stretford, Greater Manchester. Despite driving through it, I had never
heard of it. Again why does it need a Russian name?

Major cities having names in other languages is one thing, but tube
stations and suburbs?

Phil