Lester:

> MOST other projects maintain the older style of site in parallel
with
> such a
> major overhaul.

Name one. I can probably name more that don't. Facebook for example
is always adding changes.

Unless you mean during the test phase, like we had the new site
running on the redesign url with the old one running in parallel
until it was judged a suitable time to switch the new one live.

I'm not saying I'm entirely happy with the new website, but mainly I
think because of how I used to do things. I've not found something
yet that I wanted to do on the new site that I could do on the old
and now can't.

I miss being able to update the page in the URL when looking through
old changesets, but I can't really remember why I ever did that
anyway. Normally I'd look at old changesets having identified them
through the data layer first anyway. I'm sort of glad that I can
still update the page when browsing my old traces to see when I was
last in an area, but even then I usually identify those first via
JOSM (as I upload them as Identifiable - this won't be the case for
all users though).

I'm a little curious why the browse page for the first bus relation
I picked switched to MapQuest open layer when I was browsing the
data layer with Standard background. If it had picked the transport
map for a bus route I'd have thought "Wow!" (and cycle map for cycle
route) but picking MapQuest layer seems more of a quirk. (As an
aside, the first cycle route I tried opened with the transport map
as a background, as did the first boundary relation - but perhaps
I've got something cached here now). Relation browse pages seem slow
to load, probably because of trying to display a map for them (which
does seem to be working better than I remember it doing, but not
sure whether this is related to the latest changes or happened
earlier without me noticing).

I struggled briefly to find the browse page for a way I clicked on
the data layer - there were links to browse pages for nodes and the
changeset. I then realised that I was looking at the browse page
already (when I went to the changeset browse page and back to the
way browse page).

When I first edited with Potlatch 2 after the change it took me a
moment to spot that I had to click the work OpenStreetMap rather
than View to get back to the map view.

Anyway, I think most of the changes are cosmetic and just need a bit
of getting used to.

Ed