On 03/04/2015 14:59, Colin Smale wrote:
Why not tag both spelling variants? They are both correct in their own
frame of reference.

If it differs to what is "on the ground", we can use official_name=* for
the name given by the local authority, warts an' all.

I wouldn't have a problem with this at all, provided the "official" data is licensed in such a way that we can use it.

As I recall, however, although the OS map is suitably licensed, it is not itself definitive, but is derived (perhaps with errors) from another database which we are not entitled to copy. I don't think there's much value in adding an os_name=* which may differ from both the ground-truth and the definitive data.

Even council employees and contractors make mistakes occasionally.
Should we be legitimising and propagating manifest errors by putting the
errors into OSM?

Because IMO they're *not* errors in OSM, whose job is to map physical reality, not to be a repository for various geographic information databases. I'm aware that not everyone shares this view.

--
Cheers,
John