On 05/06/15 14:15, Wittle, Paul wrote:

Hi,

Is it ok to add a tag 'addr:county' when drawing properties, it doesn't seem to be an officially recognised tag but I can find some references to it online?

Also, would you put sub-districts of a town (i.e. Wyke Regis in Weymouth) under 'addr:place'?

Best Regards,

Paul Wittle

Paul,
You can add any tag for any purpose that suits you, there are no official tags. Adding addr:county fits in the apparent address hierarchy, but some would say it is superfluous because the county that the place is in can be calculated by seeing which county boundary relation the location is in. That depends on having intact boundaries (they usually are) and the means to run 'is-in' calculations. PostGIS extension to PostgreSQL helps with that. In some edge cases it may be better to tag to be sure.

Some people don't even add the addr:city tag for the same reasons but I always do, not least because in villages a civil parish boundary can have more than one named place in it.

The fact is there is no right and wrong way to do this, do what suits you - but not everyone else will follow you.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly