Thanks all.

My other food for thought is:

Should we attempt to include everything that is in the open data datasets
plus our on the ground additions (manually or, unless we suddenly get many
more mappers, by some form of controlled merge) or should we leave the end
users with the task of mixing OSM with the open data?

Regards,
Rob

P.S. The OSM licence allows for mixes but in all but the most simple cases
the user would then have to release the final dataset - something they may
be unwilling to do.

P.P.S. By which I'm asking: do you think that (unless we get loads of new
mappers) more availability of open data possess a threat to OSM in the UK
unless we get better at merging in the open data?