On 10-Jan-17 12:44 PM, Andy Townsend wrote:
On 10/01/17 01:20, David Groom wrote:
...
Tag info shows 579 ways tagged with crop = beet, of these 572 are in northern Italy added by 3 users, so its probably quite easy to ask what exactly they meant by "beet" , and retag these existing ways if they actually should be beetroot.

In the UK I could hazard a guess as to whether sugarbeet or something else based on the proximity to one of British Sugar's plants such as Newark or Peterborough, but in Northern Italy asking the mapper definitely seems like a good idea.

There are lots of  'beets' ... different kinds of plants that is.
http://www.webcitation.org/6Fu9TOBWl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au%2FSorting%2FBeta.html

Having viewed that ... I think the value can be left as beet... it maybe viewed as 'generic' for all the different kinds.

I am only familiar with beetroot ... but I have changed the wiki description to
"Beet field, many different kinds, beetroot and sugarbeet being two. "

It was ""Beet field"

If necessary to identify a particular beet then a further tag could be added
beet=beetroot, sugarbeet, sea_beat etc...



Another caveat in the UK - crops are often rotated (and planted based on price expectation) so what is beet one year is barley the next, and perhaps oil-seed rape after that. Essentially, where this variation happens it'd be difficult to trust any "crop" tag over a year old.


There is at least one instance of multiple values separated by ; I'd think that would be one way of mapping crop rotation values? Rendering is another problem.



_______________________________________________
Talk-GB mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb

Reply via email to