All I can say that this has been on my cartographic wish list for ages, but
I have no specific ideas of how to do it. The simplest would be something
like church:tower=yes etc.

Churches are also good candidates for simple 3D buildings.

Lastly tagging architectural styles on churches would be nice: romanesque,
decorated, perpendicular, modern(e), arts & crafts, gothic revival etc.

Jerry