Hi Stuart,

Ah, the Ordance Survey view of the world: you're either a tower or a steeple ;)

Towers and steeples are just one of many building parts, which can be
mapped the same way as other 3D aspects of buildings:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building:part
Heights are readily added using the generic height tags that are used
for so many things.

But then also, this page tells me that "tower:type=bell_tower" is
"Widely used for steeples and bell towers":
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dtower
Flagpole is easy
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dflagpole
The only thing I don't have a ready answer for is "number of steps",
and "bells" as distinct from their enclosures.

So I'm left suspecting that maybe you're aware of these things but
there's an itch they don't scratch...?

Best
Dan