It is certainly a nice feature and one that we have grown up using, it was on
the scouts flash cards when I was learning map reading as an 11 year old.

Church towers/spires are the original navigation aid. Many rights of way
between villages follow a direct line between them.

And then when you find the church the pub is usually nearby.

Phil (trigpoint)

On Fri Feb 10 10:49:12 2017 GMT, SK53 wrote:
> All I can say that this has been on my cartographic wish list for ages, but
> I have no specific ideas of how to do it. The simplest would be something
> like church:tower=yes etc.
>
> Churches are also good candidates for simple 3D buildings.
>
> Lastly tagging architectural styles on churches would be nice: romanesque,
> decorated, perpendicular, modern(e), arts & crafts, gothic revival etc.
>
> Jerry
>
> On 10 February 2017 at 10:27, Stuart Reynolds <
> stu...@travelinesoutheast.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > On OS maps there is a distinction between churches with towers, churches
> > with steeples, and “other” places of worship. These are all readily
> > surveyable (so that we are not taking data from OS). But as far as I can
> > determine, there is no tagging scheme that would allow towers or steeples
> > to be added, nor to have (for example) the height of tower, numbers of
> > steps, flagpoles, bells, etc added (which could be useful).
> >
> > Am I right, or have I missed something? If right, do we need to agree a
> > tagging scheme that would allow us to enter that info?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Regards,
> > Stuart Reynolds
> > for traveline south east & anglia