On 29 January 2018 at 11:15, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> So you are saying that the postcode should be removed from the street to fix
> your listings? I would prefer things the other way around and always have.
> The street and associated data does not need duplicating on every house if
> there is a matching street with the same addr:postcode ... but I think that
> boat has sailed ... However I see no reason to remove the addr:postcode from
> the street especially where routing to the property can take you to the
> wrong street where the building is closer to another road but has no access
> from it. So I'm not going to remove valid tagging ...

Ah, I see that tagging would create a lot of false positives in my
tool and make it much less useful!

My understanding is that addr:postcode should be used only as part of
an address. So if you want to put a postcode on a street (or part of a
street) then addr:postcode isn't the best tag to use. Instead, there's
a postal_code=* tag defined in the wiki at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:postal_code which would seem
to be more appropriate for this use case.

What do other people think?

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker