(just to add a bit to what Jerry said...)

Hi Tony,

First of all, welcome!

You've probably already found the "Contact channels" page on the wiki https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contact_channels .  OSM globally uses lots of different mailing lists, forums, social network sites etc.  It can be a bit confusing, but Bryan Housel (the tireless main developer of the iD editor) is planning to tie some of these loose ends together a bit better, and the summary I gave for his benefit at https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2018-April/080447.html for GB might also be useful.

Slightly further afield than Manchester, there are regular meetups in the East and West Midlands, which might be doable from Chorley (I'm in the East Midlands and have worked occasionally just west of Chorley, though I've never tried a late-night train journey...).

With regard to the Manchester OSM UK meeting, I'm sure when the OSM UK folks are ready with an official annoucement at https://osmuk.org/ it'll get featured in the regular "weekly" - country-level meetups often do.  Anyone can submit news for that by the way - have a look at http://www.weeklyosm.eu/this-news-should-be-in-weeklyosm for details.

Best Regards,

Andy