A 20 mph zone is a 20mph speed limit area. 20 mph repeater signs are judged
not to be necessary because the traffic calming measures physically limit
the speed of traffic.

A 20 mph limit simply imposed on an existing road without traffic calming
is deemed to require repeaters to differentiate it from a 30mph road.