On 19/03/19 10:13, Andy Townsend wrote:

On 18/03/2019 21:05, Neil Matthews wrote:

P.S. Any suggestions  on how I can measure buildings "on-foot" greatly apreciated...

If you can't get hold of one of these*: https://www.aols.org/archives/historical-artifacts?page=13 , and if you're after the heights of large buildings in a city that you can get fairly close to, how about a plastic set-square held horizontal by aligning the perpendicular side to a piece of string held down by a weight?  The height of the building should be half your distance from it.  Or just cheat and count the floors.

Best Regards,

Andy

* turn the mirror through 90 degrees, look through the gap and at the reflection of your eye, adjust the weight and read the number off the scale

For a chimney that is surrounded by a building  I used the shadow of the chimney vs the shadow of the building. Do tag the source:height !  Someone may be able to do better, if not at least it provides amusement for others.