On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 23:06, Neil Matthews <ndmatth...@plus.net> wrote:
> In light of some recent edits in South Gloucestershire -- is it ok to
> import unsurveyed footpaths based simply on rowmaps data?

Based on the licensing information at
http://www.rowmaps.com/datasets/SG/ my view would be "no". According
to what's written there,the data on Rowmaps was only licensed by South
Gloucestershire Council under the (old) OS OpenData Licence. This
licence is not compatible with the ODbL used by OSM, due to the viral
attribution that would be required even in produced works. I believe
that what's written on the Rowmaps page is misleading, as to be used
under a different licence (e.g. the OGL v3) the rights holder (i.e.
the Council) would need to explicitly re-license their data -- OS
cannot unilaterally do it for them. (I guess it's possible that
whoever is doing the editing has contacted the council directly and
got permission to use the data under the OGL, although I don't see
this documented anywhere.)

There's also the separate question of whether it's a good idea to
import PRoW routes solely from (correctly licensed) external data. I
don't think this is a good idea, since we want to capture the actual
route on the ground as well as the definitive line. Without a ground
survey, local knowledge, or the use of aerial imagery (e.g. for
visible tracks) you won't be able to know the former. The data on
Rowmaps is also somewhat old -- it would be better to request an up to
date copy from the Council.

Finally on a practical level, any license to use the data will almost
certainly require some attribution from OSM if it's used. I can't see
anything related to South Gloucestershire on the contributors page at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Public_Rights_of_Way_Data_from_local_councils
. While there's nothing listed there, it's definitely not ok to use
the data in OSM.

Robert.

PS: I've got a list of licences and availability of PRoW data for
different councils at https://osm.mathmos.net/prow/open-data/ , which
I try to keep up to date. Please let me know of any corrections you
spot that need making.

--
Robert Whittaker