On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 11:59 Dave F via Talk-GB, <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Public_Rights_of_Way_Data_from_local_councils
> > . While there's nothing listed there, it's definitely not ok to use
> > the data in OSM.
>
> Rubbish.
>
> Just because one person isn't aware of a fact, it doesn't make it untrue.
> No one person has authority over other OSM contributors.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here. My point was that if any
mapper is using data under a licence that requires attribution, then they
can only do so if the required attribution is given on either
https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright or
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors . Otherwise OSM would be
violating that licence by distributing a derived work without the
attribution.

So assuming permission to use the South Gloucestershire data is conditional
on some attribution (which is the case for e.g. the OGL) then it needs to
be listed as a source on the contributors page, with the appropriate
attribution given.

(Separately, I think it's also important from a community verification
point of view that sources and licences are documented, so other mappers
can check we have the necessary rights to use any claimed sources, and
there is evidence if anyone challenges our use of particular data.)

Robert.