On 02/09/2019 14:30, Jez Nicholson wrote:
Following on from their talk at the OSMUK AGM, the National Trust have now created an official 'organised edit' page for their footpath project https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities/National_Trust_Paths

I'm a little puzzled by one of the lines on the permissions grid on that page. There's a line for "Legal RoW but access discouraged", with a suggested tagging of "discouraged/private" for pedestrians (and similar tags for other users).

Quite apart from the fact that "private" is simply wrong for any public right of way, the use of "discouraged" for pedestrian users seems to me to also conflict with the wiki, which suggests that this is a functional tag (the wiki example is HGV traffic on narrow roads). But public rights of way come in all shapes and sizes, from broad, well-maintained paths to barely visible routes across difficult terrain. If we want to tag their relative ease of use, then surely a more appropriate tag than "discouraged" should be used. If a right of way on foot exists, then it is, ultimately, up to the user whether they use it or not.

The reason why I'm uneasy with this here, is that it relates to similar concerns already expressed by Frederik Ramm. There's quite a lot of NT property which is crossed by public rights of way, but that the NT would prefer people not to use as they provide a route onto the property that bypasses the "official" entrance. I can understand why they'd want to do that, but I don't think it's appropriate to reflect that in how the paths are mapped in OSM.

Mark