On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM Jez Nicholson <jez.nichol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't know (yet) how iD generates its list of shop types. This may be
> hard-coded and/or pre-generated from the NSI.

I can shed some light on this. The "type" field (drop down list) on the
generic "shop" preset is generated from taginfo. However, there are also
specific shop presets (e.g. "Hardware Store") which are manually added in
iD's data files. Then even more specifically there are the brand specific
presets which are generated from the name suggestion index.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM Stuart Reynolds <
stu...@travelinesoutheast.org.uk> wrote:

> And this is the problem. One of the shop=yes entries in Southend on sea is
> The Range. I wasn’t sure how to tag it (I was using iD for speed, and it’s
> list of defined shop tags is fairly minimal) so I tried an overpass query
> on Name=The Range.
>
> I have found, variously (aside from those without a shop tag at all)
> “houseware”, “household”, “doityourself”, “department_store”.

This is a common issue I run into when adding UK brands to the name
suggestion index, but it also highlights the power of having a
`brand:wikidata` tag. If all locations are identified by brand, then in
future if there is a tagging development or consensus change for that
brand, all of the locations can be easily converted because they're
explicitly marked. Along those lines, if there is ever discussion which
establishes some UK brand tagging consensus on the mailing list here I will
more than likely see it and adopt it into the index.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 1:43 PM Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) <
robert.whittaker+...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any mappers with a few minutes to spare might like to have a look at
> their local area, and see if there are any shop=yes objects they could
> re-tag with a more specific value. Some resources to help:

Perhaps a https://maproulette.org challenge would be a good way to track
the progress of this?