On 01/01/2020 07:13, Martin Wynne wrote:

However, I have discovered that highway=track, *area=yes* is valid - as evidence of that it is rendered on the standard map as a light brown infill between the fences with the existing highway=track as a routable way superimposed over it, in darker brown.

That's tagging for the renderer, which you should not do. If you map a highway as an area, you should not also map it as a line. It is up to the router to deal with that. If you double map, there is no incentive for routers to deal with areas properly.

It seems odd to have highway=track twice, but if that's what it takes to have a meaningful mapping for an area of land, I'm happy to do it that way. Presumably the developers of the standard map know what they are doing.

The standard map doesn't claim to be a definitive specification of what is allowable. It is a combination of a technology demonstrator and a background map to assist mappers in placing other features.