Personally, I don't think that classifying UPRNs (e.g. historic, parent, non-addressable etc.) nor publishing dynamically the allocations to the custodians of batches of UPRNs would detract from the commercial value derived by Ordnance Survey (OS). I fully understand that as a limited company, OS is perhaps less motivated to collaborate with the public. However, public bodies such as the Environment Agency surely have a broader responsibility to the public?

Why I get on my high horse about this is the knowledge that UPRNs and related data have errors but perhaps even more tragically, the lack of openness can lead to direct impact to people's lives. I also realise that the OSM Foundation is a non-profit organisation whose purpose is to support the OSM project - my reading is that this is technical rather than political. I also re-read Owen Boswarva's blog https://www.owenboswarva.com/blog/post-addr1.htm and end up feeling that the publishing of Open Data is a bit like the comment "When information is missing, we speculate about what the government might be hiding, or fill in the gaps with anecdotes." [https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/02/government-publish-data-coronavirus-deaths]

I therefore believe that the current situation regarding openness leads to speculation and as Mark so clearly states to "deliberately minimise the utility of the Open UPRN database" - the risk is that this sort of speculation leads to a lack of trust