Hi,

First, I want to apologise, this is a long email, but if you are at all
interested in moving OSM in Ireland to the next level, please read on and
give your feedback when you're done.

Efforts to get the OSM Ireland group set up as a legal entity and
established as a recognised chapter have never really got out of the
starting blocks for us, mainly because it's an exceptionally long, boring
process to get it all done.

Back when Rory gave the Townlands presentation at a Sotm or two ago, I
contacted everyone who took part and asked a number of questions to allow
for some stats to be included in the presentation. I asked a few questions
specifically around the topic of setting something up properly. If I recall
correctly, all but one were interested in joining an official OSM Ireland,
but less than half wanted to be involved in setting it up. But that ratio
is to be expected. If I'm honest, it was a lot higher than I originally
expected.

What I would love to see is a functioning OSM Ireland body which, at an
absolute minimum, could do the following

   - Scheduling regular meet up's - These would have some organisation
   around them e.g. guest speakers, break out groups, objectives etc. This
   could be monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly, doesn't matter, just even
   setting up a schedule and sticking to it would be a great achievement
   - Work on increasing the qty of daily contributors - Some simple things
   like automating messages to first time mappers, or a tool to ensure every
   new contributor's edits are reviewed for accuracy/vandalism etc. Basically,
   just setting up some structure around it to ensure we engage with new folks
   in the most efficient and effective ways possible. I see no reason why a
   number of 50 a day shouldn't be achievable within an 18 month period if
   this is done right.
   - Setting up an Import strategy - There is an ever growing pool of open
   data being released. To make full use of it is going to require a
   signficant body of up-front work (selecting, categorising, prioritising,
   tools and import process).
   - Lining up other, structured, mapping tasks - For example doing a 1
   month blitz on lane mapping, or a 3 month clean-up of errors using Osmi or
   keepright etc etc etc. We did this with the enormous townland mapping
   project. Smaller scale versions, with a little work, could have a real,
   lasting impact on the map
   - Commiting to organising a State of the Map yearly. This doesn't need
   to have a load of bells and whistles, hell, year one would likely be one
   day, but it has to be possible to get a 2 day conference going within 2
   years, whatever format it may take (barcamp, unconference etc). There's
   enough going on now between mappers, govt, commercial and academic folks
   that is easily within reach.
   - Lastly, getting out of Dublin. I know Dublin has the biggest
   population of mappers, but what about having the meetup in a location
   outside of Dub once or twice a year. Or there could be a night away where
   we do a load of ground work on the basemap first, then hit the ground in a
   town and get every street name, address, business and attraction all in one
   day, then meet back somewhere, have a bite to eat and a few drinks.

In my head, I'm seeing each of those things needing 2-3 people to work on
them, i.e. working groups, to ensure nobody gets left holding the bag and
to avoid burnout.

Now, I'd like to say, all of the above is purely what *I* think OSM Ireland
should be about. Others may feel differently, and that's totally fine. It's
kind of the point of this email :)

With all of that in mind, to get us formally set up, what I am proposing is
the following

1. A meeting in early Sept  (the 2nd or the 9th) where we will come
together to hammer out a lot of the basics of setting up OSM Ireland. Note,
this will involve people coming together, agreeing on the structure and,
most importantly, some people agreeing to take some work e.g. research
whats involved in setting up a bank account, what are the legal
requirements, how will we manage membership, etc etc

2. A second meeting in early Oct where the majority of the structure is
locked down. Work to start on Articles of Association etc if required at
this point. Again, some people would need to agree to take on some tasks to
keep the process moving.

3. A third meeting in Nov and a fourth in Dec, to lock down any last
elements. At this point we would need to agree a provisional board
probably, to allow for paperwork to proceed for banks, govt. etc. Note,
this board would step down at the first general meeting of OSM Ireland and
elections would be held at that first meeting.

4. Jan, get all the paperwork sent to whoever

5. TBD, once paperwork is approved by relevant bodies, agenda for first
general meeting to be determined and election process to begin

There you go. With a bit of luck, before the next round of green milkshakes
hits McDonalds, we would be a formal entity and we could start talking
about moving to the next stage, which would be completing the OSMF chapter
application, not to mention any other objectives we might have.

So, who's in?

Dave