On 03/09/2016 16:01, Fayor Uno wrote:

C'รจ un minimo di consenso? Si proceda.

If you think there's consensus in this thread currently then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you ...

Seriously, it is clear that there are things still to be worked out - for example, what's the spread of Sardinian language(s) use across the island, both in terms of use by people living there and in signage? The OSMF policy on this is:

http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/d/d8/DisputedTerritoriesInformation.pdf

The "on the ground" principle described there means that among other things it's the local community who should have the greatest say - most things in OSM are "bottom up" rather than "top down". However, it's important to note that there are tags available (name:it, name:sc etc.) in which to store names in different languages, and there's no barrier to creating a map with that data. Many different renderings of OSM data are available and it's more possible than ever to create your own.

I've just reverted the latest shot in this edit war http://osm.org/browse/changeset/41889305 and one of the things that I found particularly odd in there was the removal of name:it for Sassari by you (see http://osm.mapki.com/history/relation.php?id=40683 ). I would recommend to everyone to retain "name:language" tags for places where multiple languages are in use simply because it allows people to create maps in a particular language.

Note that, as I said on the revert changeset http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41891270 The DWG does not endorse either side of this argument and will revert mass edits in either direction. For example, if someone tries to change the name of Sassari to any one of the 3 other language variants, that'll get reverted too - at least until a proper discussion has been had about the current status of different-language names on the island.

Best Regards,

Andy Townsend, on behalf of OSM's Data Working Group