On 11 Jun 2010, at 01:49, john whelan wrote:

Ottawa is different. The passengers complain if the bus is one minute early or five minutes late. Quite unlike London in the UK where I used to live. I think it stems from the minus 30c in winter time, with wind chill it can be even colder, the passengers typically turn up about two minutes before the bus.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheerio John

On 10 June 2010 20:25, Roland Olbricht <roland.olbri...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > You may want to follow
> > British/German standard. There is a tag that identifies stops uniquely,
> > sorry can't recall at the moment. The last time I saw it was
> > Siegburg/Bonn train station.

Do you mean the "ref" tag as on node 160621? I'd strongly advice not to follow that way. The "ref" has also been used to list the lines stopping there and
should not be used for something else.

I've never seen any item that identifies bus stops uniquely in Germany or Britain and is visible to the ordinary passenger. It is also not needed - all bus stops with the same name in the same town are usually very close together (just stops for different directions). But being unique would be never stated as a formal constraint. Buses sometimes stop at two nearby stops with the same name. Thus there is nothing comparable to the stop_code here in Germany.

In the UK stops on either side of the road typically have the same 'name', a different indicator sometimes imported into OSM as a 'local_ref' (or naptan:indicator).

In London and some other places the 'indicator' is often a single letter (or pair of letters) which is used on local maps and at the top of the pole and is unique locally Notice the 'D' indicator on top of this bus stop:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route79/2937392/

Here is a node in OSM which a 'Local_ref' code ('K' in this case)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/469771254

And here is the same stop on an official TfL map used in bus shelters in the area.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/londonbridge-2163.pdf

This stop is also in a relation with the stop across the road:

But stops can be part of larger relations for a transport interchange, in this case a railway station (although not all elements associated with the station are included in this example yet) including platforms, other bus stops etc.

Every UK bus stops also has a unique 'Naptan:AtcoCode' which is used by information systems but not by humans.

Here are some pages about the UK dataset and the import
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN

For comparison, here is a typical German stop
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/638614538

In the UK we imported all the relevant data into a naptan: namespace and then copied elements with OSM tags into the main OSM space. This could be a good way of working in other countries.

Finally here is a proposal for tagging some of the more complex aspects:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Stop_Area

Regards,

Peter Miller
ITO World
www.itoworld.com

John, I would advice you to just set name to the stop_code if this is the thing displayed on the bus stops. It is very different from the northern European system. But passenger (or traveller) information is the primary goal of the OSM data. Thus a useful information in the tag that is expected to be
crucial ("name") is probably the best solution for Ottawa.

Cheers,

Roland