On 11 Jun 2010, at 09:44, Richard Mann wrote:

> Sometimes there are obscure codes on bus stops (eg in Oxford), so that
> humans can text them to a Real Time Passenger Info service (called
> OxonTime here). Eg the ref tag on this node:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/533877725
>
> For which you can get a departures list:
>
> http://www.oxontime.com/pip/stop_simulator.asp?naptan=69345648
>

> I make that three different stop ids, plus some other stuff that could
> probably be combined to make one. If you haven't got unique ids yet,
> then it's quite likely that someone will introduce them soon. You
> know, you wait ages for a unique id then three come along at once...

One final thing.

One can type the AtcoCode or the alpha NaPTAN code into this search
box to get departure times for any stop in the UK:
http://www.nextbuses.mobi/

And an XML API is also available. Details here:
http://www.pti.org.uk/nextbuses.htm

I notice from the above link that an iPhone app is also available
using the service (and of course the codes), so it really is coming
together in the UK. Personally I think we should complete the import
of NaPTAN into OSM (even for places where no one has specifically
requested it). We also need to create a process to monitor divergence
between OSM NaPTAN and the version in data.gov.uk
(http://data.gov.uk/dataset/naptan
) which is updated every 3 months at present.

In summary I think the UK has done a good job on this one and which
could be replicated elsewhere!

Regards,

Peter

> Richard
>

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com
> > wrote:
>>
>> On 11 Jun 2010, at 01:49, john whelan wrote:
>>
>> Ottawa is different.  The passengers complain if the bus is one
>> minute early
>> or five minutes late.  Quite unlike London in the UK where I used
>> to live.
>> I think it stems from the minus 30c in winter time, with wind chill
>> it can
>> be even colder, the passengers typically turn up about two minutes
>> before
>> the bus.
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts.
>>
>> Cheerio John

>>> Do you mean the "ref" tag as on node 160621? I'd strongly advice
>>> not to
>>> follow
>>> that way. The "ref" has also been used to list the lines stopping
>>> there
>>> and
>>> should not be used for something else.
>>>
>>> I've never seen any item that identifies bus stops uniquely in
>>> Germany or
>>> Britain and is visible to the ordinary passenger. It is also not
>>> needed -
>>> all
>>> bus stops with the same name in the same town are usually very close
>>> together
>>> (just stops for different directions). But being unique would be
>>> never
>>> stated
>>> as a formal constraint. Buses sometimes stop at two nearby stops
>>> with the
>>> same
>>> name. Thus there is nothing comparable to the stop_code here in