On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 17:18, Stephen Sprunk <step...@sprunk.org> wrote:

> Part of what seems to have started the PTv2 mess is that bus stops were
> sometimes mapped on the way and sometimes beside the way, and both cases
> were tagged the same.  PTv2 tried to separate those into "platform" and
> "stop_position", to bring uniformity across modes.

It would have been a lot easier to just recommend placing stops beside
the road. :)

> We need platforms beside the way so routers can get people to/from the
> stop on foot.  This is a big deal because trains are long and can
> usually be boarded along their entire length, unlike buses where a node
> often suffices.
>
> OTOH, we need stop positions so routers can get people from stop to stop
> on the buses/trains.

Routers just need the platforms (the places beside the road) because
the journey begins and ends there. Stop positions (on the road) are
irrelevant for routing. If someone, for whatever reasons, needs the
stop positions, they can be calculated (projection of the stop node or
centroid of the platform to the highway or railway way).

Regards

Markus