This may be stating the obvious, but it's a lot less effort to capture
address ranges for each block than to capture an accurate location for each
individual building. I think that's the primary reason why most geocoding
systems use this approach. But it's not either / or - if you're doing
geocoding, you can look for a specific location for a given address, if you
don't find that then you fall back to an approximation based on address
range.