On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Alan Millar <amillar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Furthermore, don't store redundant data in the OSM database.  There's
> >> absolutely no excuse for having 200 ways which all say name=Cain Rd,
> >> name_base=Cain, name_type=Rd.  It's absolutely terrible design.
> >
> > Patches welcome.  Please contribute a fix.
>
> I've been fixing it.  The fact that "Cain Rd" has a base of "Cain" and
> a type "Rd" is already in the database over and over and over again.
> I've been taking out the redundant copies of that information (which
> should have been in a separate lookup table from the beginning
> anyway).

But if you haven't created the separate lookup table and the concrete link
from each such way in OSM to an entry in the table, and made the software
support it, you haven't *FIXED* it!

You already said that the TLIDs aren't useful and that you're deleting them,
therefore there isn't a link back to TIGER.  What positive contribution are
you making to the data to ENABLE the name segmentation information on ways
(that is already there in OSM, or was before you deleted it, even if
redundant)?

The reason that OSM does NOT enforce limits on tags is so that people can
process the data in more ways that you or I can imagine in advance.   While
the name_base=Cain, name_type=Rd may be redundant, it can also be PROCESSED
BY PROGRAMS AND SCRIPTS.   When you delete this and don't provide a
functional replacement that can also be processed by programs and scripts,
you are removing useful information.  Telling someone to go look it up in
TIGER, when you don't provide a linkage to a specific TIGER record in the
data, is NOT something people can process in a program!

Just because you aren't processing the data like that, doesn't mean that
somebody else isn't, or doesn't want to, or won't in the future.

Specifically, RIGHT NOW, you are screwing with my ability to improve
mkgmap.  Stop deleting them until you provide a better replacement
functionality.

- Alan