At 2012-07-27 09:44, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
Alan was anticipating a question I was going to ask, whether to use FR (forest road) or FS (Forest Service) or Forest Service spelled out. I have seen all three. Reading his contribution, it seems we should use FR for the tracklike forest roads and FH for a "forest highway," which seems OK to me. But, what would be the definition of a "forest highway"? I haven't seen any major roads (except US or state highways) in national forests, but I work only in the Southwest.

It's defined by the USFS. Local examples are FH-62 (San Gabriel Canyon Road - SR-39), FH-61 (Angeles Crest Highway - SR-2).

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>