Kerry Irons wrote:
> I would like to get in contact with the mapper(s) who put these routes
> into OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap and clarify this.   We are always
> looking for enthusiastic folks who want to work on the USBR system
> but in this case putting detailed routes on maps is a source of
> confusion.

Hello from over the pond...

Here in the UK, several volunteers for Sustrans - the charity that runs the
National Cycle Network - are involved with OSM (I'm one; Andy Allan,
developer of OpenCycleMap, is another; but I think there's probably around a
dozen in all). The upshot of this is that the routes as shown on
OpenCycleMap are usually very accurate - on occasion, even, more up-to-date
than the mapping on www.sustrans.org.uk itself.

I'd encourage you and the ACA to follow this lead and find a small number of
people who might be prepared to bring their detailed subject knowledge of
the US Bicycle Route network to OSM. OSM always works best when it's
populated by people with real knowledge, rather than the guesswork involved
in "armchair mapping".

cheers
Richard