Martijn van Exel writes:
No more of this please. I'd place this thread under moderation if I
could, but since Ian is on vacation, I will have to rely on you all to
do the right thing and take this wholly inappropriate mode of
discussion offline.

I appreciate and accept your excellent advice, Martijn! Concomitantly, I have answered Serge off-list (where I did my utmost to keep my "mode" appropriate).

Simon Poole writes:
@stevea you would substantially help your cause if the route data was
available for inspection, best a public source from where it could be
obtained.

Simon, I couldn't agree more -- but Minh's post beat me to it! (Thank you, Minh). If you look at the Established U.S. Bicycle Routes list on the Adventure Cycling page
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/us-bicycle-route-system/use-a-us-bike-route
you will find links to all the state DOT web sites or other official maps of USBRs. This section will expand as the newly approved routes are posted on state web pages. I think it can be well argued that together with these state web sites, OSM does indeed have an authoritative source.

Are USBRs always signed? No, especially the brand-new ones, but they often ARE signed on the longer-established routes. Perhaps we do well to posit that USBRs in OSM are an "edge case" of on-the-ground-verifiability, as this is not always universally true. (I am not strictly agreeing to this, I just think it might be a helpful discussion topic which can offer some light, rather than heat). However, USBRs ARE always verifiable, just not always on-the-ground. This makes them essentially identical to boundaries, which are also in our map. So, we might call boundaries an "edge case," too.

The suggestion that each route be FURTHER vetted by an OSM volunteer actually bicycling it is excellent. Is this absolutely required? No, I don't think so, but I do characterize that as an excellent suggestion, and say "Thank you" for that.

We discuss, we learn, we share, we improve.  Right?

SteveA
California