The western US is also full of unpaved roads. When I've mapped them my criteria
for deciding between highway=track and highway=unclassified or
highway=residential has been twofold: 1) Could a family sedan reasonably be
expected to be able to use the road? And 2) Is it wide enough for two vehicles
to pass one another? If it passes both those tests then then I use either
unclassified or residential depending on the number of houses served on it. If
it fails either test, then I use track.

In routing I suspect that the vast majority of real world users will be
expecting a fast and smooth route to take in the family car so routing software
should probably default to avoiding tracks. But there are other significant use
cases: Mountain bikes would probably love to be routed over tracks, road bikes
would probably prefer paved bike lanes, trucking concerns will be interested in
having the routing software take account of HGV restrictions, etc.

In compiling the best practices tags used for routing, it may be a good idea to
break the page into those different usages and for each usage list the tags
used by the various routers.