On 2014-07-02 8:04 AM, Tod Fitch wrote:
The western US is also full of unpaved roads. When I've mapped them my criteria for deciding between highway=track and highway=unclassified or highway=residential has been twofold: 1) Could a family sedan reasonably be expected to be able to use the road? And 2) Is it wide enough for two vehicles to pass one another? If it passes both those tests then then I use either unclassified or residential depending on the number of houses served on it. If it fails either test, then I use track.

If houses are on it is probably a better test than condition or width. There are tertiary and secondary roads which are questionable for family sedans. For tracks, tracktype indicates condition, and tracktype1 should be drivable by any family sedan as it may even be paved.