How would you classify two ruts, with some fist-sized rocks dumped into the
worst-eroded points, leading to the base of a billboard next to a highway?
Technically it is a service road, used when the billboard is maintained, but I
tagged it as a track due to its condition. Only a high-ground-clearance,
four-wheel drive vehicle would be able to use it. This is on public land,
undeveloped except for a paved footpath on part of it, due to frequent flooding.

On July 3, 2014 11:37:30 AM CDT, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhau...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I think highway=service could be public or private, just a matter of
> if it
> is "used to access a certain building / facility" like Martin said.
> Some
> public examples could be road to a public parking lot, driveway in/out
> of
> fire station, road leading to a public works facility.
>

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Kevin Broderick
> <k...@kevinbroderick.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Highway=service implies a private road, though; if a public road
> dead-ends
> > at a single building or facility, it should be =residential or
> > =unclassified, right?
> >
> > The tracktype= key is also not really applicable to many of the
> > unmaintained roads around here, at least as described on the wiki.
> The
> > description implies that a track is a continuum from a maintained
> roadway
> > to a virtually invisible path across a field. The unmaintained roads
> in
> > this part of the country are usually old roadways that were
> established
> > before modern engineering standards; many of them go up and down the
> fall
> > line and have waterbars, washouts, rock ledges, or all of the above.
> For
> > example:
> >

> https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/1267970_716253801218_1989759584_o.jpg
> >

> https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/1266483_716253736348_406630391_o.jpg
> >

> https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31.0-8/1264969_716254075668_897288595_o.jpg
> >

> https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10317804_767096626788_7562385056086790114_o.jpg
> >
> > All of these photos are unmaintained roads in Vermont. The last one
> is
> > probably reasonable for a high-clearance, AWD car (e.g. Subaru) in
> the
> > hands of a competent driver, and definitely should be passable by a
> skilled
> > driver in a 4x4 pickup or Jeep. The other three would probably
> require a
> > modified 4x4 and the right skillset. They are also legal
> right-of-ways, so
> > clearly access=yes for all vehicle types (even though I wouldn't
> want to
> > get routed down one of those unknowingly).
> >
> > I've been using the smoothness key to provide additional data on
> such
> > tracks, which I realize is a universally agreed solution, but it's
> the best
> > one I've found to date; I'd be open to further suggestions.
> >

> > On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> > dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <brad.neuhau...@gmail.com>:

> [...]

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive
out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.