It might go without saying for most OSM contributors, however, it is time to
say out loud:  data which make their way into OSM must be

1)  Of a geographic value such that they positively further the goals and hew
to the tenets of the project,
2)  Current or recent, not of a vintage that even as entered do not fully
reflect on-the-ground reality right now,
3)  Especially if imported, of a scope which, even if large, become structures
which conform (<2000 nodes) rather than overwhelm,
4)  Free from extraneous key-value pairs which have no reason to be in OSM,
5)  Able to last well into the future, or at least until a next update of a
newer, better dataset, and
6)  A contribution to the depth, richness or correctness of our shared map
data, not primarily for the amusement of the contributor.

Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that much data from FMMP imports largely
fail all of these.  Paul Norman's brief contribution to this thread may not
have teased out the logic of his actions that allowed him to partially remedy
the situation, and I don't wish to put words in his mouth, but it seems clear
he first reached similar conclusions.  I say this that we might understand it
is OK for us to conclude there truly are bad data in OSM and we can and should
do something about them (delete them, improve them if they have partial
value...).

Of course, proper vetting BEFORE an import is precisely what largely prevents
this in the first place.  This happens to be a case where we already have such
bad (well, perhaps "marginally useful") data in our map.  I think it important
that we reiterate that mature, seasoned OSM editor/contributors can and should
redact (or improve) these data when they are identified to be marginally useful
or just plain bad.  While doing so, good, clear communication, especially with
the original data editor/importer/author, is paramount.

Thank you,

SteveA
California